Thursday, June 13, 2013

Moving beyond the Traditional Textbook and Transmission Methods

Chapter 6

This chapter caught my interest because in school I only remember using my text books to learn about topics but this brings up a very valid point.  I see it as all the papers I have written in my school career and how often I had to use resources.  Well I can tell you that never did a teacher tell me we only need one resource but aren’t they only using one resource while teaching.  I can’t believe this has never hit me!  Just using one textbook makes it a one sided story.  Teachers should provide more information from different places.  If this happened maybe students wouldn’t be so confused when they have to use multiple sources in their work.  Another thing is that textbooks can be hard to read and comprehend.  They usually don’t expand and are pretty darn dry.  The rest of this chapter was determining readability and such for different sources brought in.  I really liked the maze.  It is a series of sentences and every so often the students have to pick 1 out of 3 words that go.  This is a simple but very effective way to see how the student is doing.  The book also brings up that this could be to see what the prior knowledge is.  This is a great idea to use and see how the students do and what needs to be focused on the most in the lesson.  The part that mentioned reading electronically versus traditional print was also an interesting topic.  Technology is all the rage and teachers are being asked to incorporate often.  I think a problem that students face is that they don’t really know how to search the internet.  I found this problem with myself as well.  Nobody ever really taught me how to search the web so I had to teach myself.  If students are taught what to look for, what is important, and how to search, they would be a lot more successful at it.

2 comments:

  1. Good point about teaching the use of the Internet. I wonder if we teachers just assume that since many students have been using computers since childhood they know how to sift through sources on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the book you were referring to here?

    ReplyDelete