Thursday, June 6, 2013

I-Search Proposal


Topic: How ready are high school students for college?

Possible Questions:  Are students prepared enough for college?  What skills are they lacking?  Are the high schools expecting too less or the colleges too much?  Is anybody at fault for this?  What can be implemented to help?

People to Interview: I plan on going to the high school near my house, Nansemond River, and talk to a counselor about the topic.

Titles of Articles you Plan to Use: Right now I just have two that I have found.  One is from NPR, Even 'Highly Motivated' Students Aren't Ready For College.  The other is from CBS, Is your 'A' student really ready for college?  These are both recent articles from April of this year but I plan on looking for something resources with more facts and statistics and what is lacking.  This topic is highly talked about at the moment so there are resources everywhere for it.

Notes:  Even though I plan on becoming an Elementary School teacher, this is still an important topic because they still learn from us.  It can't just be the upper levels fault but maybe a system fault.  Through research hopefully I can find some suggestions to the problem and try to do something in my classroom to help my students be in the ready for college group. 

2 comments:

  1. Jenifer, what immediately popped into my head was the discrepancies among various high schools as students begin applying for colleges. I came from a pretty decent suburban school distract, in which many of the schools has "specialty programs", these students were basically considered Honors for every class taken. My best friend graduated valedictorian of my high school with a WHOPPING 4.95 GPA. No you didn't read that wrong. School districts also have various grading scales- some are on the college scale and others consider 84-89.5 B, 90-94 A, etc. Not to mention how this could hinder students from low SES schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really great topic! It has been talked about a lot recently. Maybe since you want to be an elementary teacher look at how elementary teachers can do more to prepare their students for high school and beyond. Instead of looking at it from a high school point of view look at the topic from elementary.

    ReplyDelete