Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Affective Domain

Chapter 2
Throughout my school career I wasn't ever really motivated to read and I was always just given books to read.  The only time I got to pick out what I wanted to read was when we went to the library and got a book for home.  I was glad to read this chapter to see that it is encouraging teachers to find what interest students to foster reading skills.  This chapter dealt a lot with getting the students to enjoy reading and how to help them achieve higher skills which is affective domain.  I really liked the elementary interest inventory.  I found that this could be extremely helpful to get to know your students in the beginning of the year.  The reading also brought up finding ways to make reading fun and mentioned using technology.  It is a lot cooler to read off an IPad, Kindle, Nook, etc.  Trying to bring these in the classroom is another great way to get students into reading.  It is also a way to have more of a variety of topics and books to chose from.  An aspect brought up that I guess I never really thought about was the brain based teaching.  This has never been brought up in my other classes.  The most interesting point brought up in the reading was about boys.  Boys are more likely to drop out of school and have greater problems with reading.  This is important to know as a teacher so you can be prepared and help change those statistics.  Lastly, the questioning in the affective domain.  I personally don't remember many teachers ever asking me how I felt about the reading, characters, plot, etc.  When they did it was a right or wrong answer which never made sense to me.  These questions could really get the students to connect and interact with the readings/text.  I look forward to reading about the par lesson plans in the next coming chapters after seeing the examples at the end of this chapter.

2 comments:

  1. Jen, you make some interesting points about your own reading experiences. How will what you learned in ch. 2 and what you know from your own experiences impact what you do as a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really liked the questionnaire about the student interests from the book. I would like to use resources like this to get to know my students and relate reading to them. I plan, as a teacher, to get my students interested in reading basing on prior knowledge and not overwhelming them with tedious reading.

      Delete