Thursday, May 30, 2013

Assistance in Learning

Chapter 4

A quote that I liked from the book that starts the chapter is, "An important step in the PAR Lesson Framework is the Assistance Phase in which students develop and deepen their understanding of any learning activity." p.81  I felt like this quote just summarized the whole chapter and why we are reading it.  The first important tool brought up that I personally really like is mapping.  These can be very effective and even be used as a study tool because it maps out all the important information.  Next is the constructivism theory where students take the information and reshape into something that is relatable or makes sense to them in their world.  Segment of text has two strategies; directed reading-thinking activity and guided reading procedure.  The first one is to help students realize that one segment can help them understand the next one.  The second one, students gather and organize information around the main topic.  Reciprocal teaching is when students and teachers work together to understand the reading.  The book also came up with some great ideas of ways to help students comprehending text.  The activities are mystery clue game, pattern guides, level study guides, organizational charts, and student-generated questions. P.94-100  I really liked the pattern guides.  I think again like mapping these are great to lay out all the ideas and have something to study or look back at later.  I was really interested in the QAR because I have heard of it before but was never really sure what it was.  Even after reading this section I was a little iffy on it but the image on p.102 was a great way to be able to actually see it.  The best part of this book is not only do they give great strategies to use but they give examples so that you can see it and what it would look like.  It is the part that helps me the most. 

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I totally agree that the way the text presented QAR did not seem thorough. I too had heard of this strategy throughout my classroom experiences. For me it almost seems to be something that is done inherently, but hey I guess that's not a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete